Heriot’s Rugby 25 – 13 Ayrshire Bulls

In an opening weekend dominated by the away teams, Heriot’s Rugby were the third team to record a victory on the road in the FOSROC Super6. With Watsonians also winning at the Southern Knights this sets up for a cracking Edinburgh Derby at Goldenacre next Sunday (17th November – kick off 2pm). 

Before the game got underway there was a poignant minutes silence for Remembrance Sunday with 1,341 supporters in attendance.

It was a high-tempo start by both teams as each defence was tested.The scoring was opened on the five-minute mark when Ayrshire Bulls were awarded a penalty on Heriot’s 22m line, which the experienced Fraser Climo neatly converted.

The visitors were unlucky not to have a cross field kick by Stuart Edwards come to anything as it was gathered by the Bulls defence in the dead ball area.

The Edinburgh side soon rectified their earlier attempt and used the man advantage whilst Bulls Graham Geldenhuys served time in the sin bin for a high-tackle.

The opening try came as the Heriot’s pack worked their way towards the whitewash and after a couple of phases allowed centre Iain Wilson to crash over, followed by a straight forward conversion by Ross Jones.

The encounter was still being played at a high-pace as the Bulls responded quickly with an intercepted try from the half-way line by outside centre Tyler Beary. The score was converted by Fraser Climo.

Fullback Ross Jones then slotted a straightforward penalty to put more points on the board for the visitors.

On the thirty minute mark Heriot’s marched forward with a rolling maul from a lineout on the ten meter line, sending twelve men in paid off as they out muscled the Bulls for lock Ronan Seydak to dot down.

Ayrshire worked their way down to play in the Heriot’s half for one of the first times in the match, Heriots gave away a penalty on the 22 meter line in front of the posts for not releasing which was a straightforward kick for Climo.

Just before half time Heriot’s lock Adam Sinclar was shown yellow for a high tackle.

Half-Time Ayrshire Bulls 13-15 Heriots Rugby

With the second half underway, Heriots were first to get points on the board when referee Keith Allen awarded a penalty try from a rolling maul from a lineout.

Ayrshire knocked on the door, but again the visitors showed great defence and physicality to snub out any attack the Bulls could muster.

Heriot’s sent on a strong bench to continue the strong defensive effort and ensure there was to be no more scoring to continue the trend of three visiting victories in the opening FOSROC Super6 weekend.

In the last five minutes of the game Cameron Hutchison of Heriot’s made an excellent break up the middle of the park and offloaded to Rory McMichael who was high tackled by David Armstrong.

Ross Jones added three more points from the resulting penalty to seal proceedings and take the points back to Edinburgh.

Attendance: 1,341

MOTM: Cameron Hutchison – Heriots